I wonder if it is possible to obtain nitroethane in this way:

When glycerin is heated with sulfuric acid, acrolein is obtained CH2=CH-CH=O

with the action of hydrochloric acid on acrolein we obtain:

CH2=CH-CH=O + HCl = Cl-CH2-CH2-CH=O

further, acting with sodium nitrite, we obtain:

Cl-CH2-CH2-CH=O + NaNO2 = O2N-CH2-CH2-CH=O + NaCl

oxidizing the resulting compound when heated, we obtain nitroethane:

O2N-CH2-CH2-CH=O + [o] = CH3-CH2-NO2 + CO2

I saw in one of the Russian forums, is this method correct or is it just nonsense?

GhostChemist

Expert
Reaction score
The process is not entirely precise, and there will likely be a large number of co-products.
A mixture of halogen derivatives is formed (Cl-CH2-CH2-CH=O and CH3-CHCl-CH=O). Acrolein and its chlorinated derivatives can polymerize, forming polymers and hard-to-remove resins. In the final reaction, the oxidation of the aldehyde group will proceed initially to form a nitro acid, which needs to be further decarboxylated. Although decarboxylation of nitro acids obtain nitroalkanes.
That the fact nitropropanal is explosive.

Mo0odi

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
Complete step-by-step answer:
At first, we will see the preparation of nitroethane from ethane. Here is the reaction of the process:

CH3−CH2−HO−NO3 −→−−−−−−423K to 698K CH3−CH2−NO2 + H2O NitroethaneCH3−CH2−HO−NO3 →423K to 698K CH3−CH2−NO2 + H2O Nitroethane
In the above mentioned process, the ethane is heated with concentrated nitric acid. The temperature of the reaction maintained at 423 K to 698K. The completion of the process ultimately results in the formation of nitroethane

Please can one of the experts explain this method?