Mushrooms, LSD and other sweets — talk about good stuff?

Brain

Expert Pharmacologist
Reaction score
F0as9vgcRK

A 27-year-old Albany, NY resident named Jessica was looking for ways to improve her mood. She spent two and a half years in therapy, studied many self-help books, and took antidepressants. She made significant changes in her life, incorporating regular exercise and leaving her city of birth, which was suffocating her. Although she found it easier to cope with her anxiety, she still felt something was missing from her life.

«I felt a disconnect between my logical, always critical mind and my soul. Small doses of magic mushrooms, LSD and cannabis have hit the health culture, and the stigma around drugs is receding» — Jessica shared her thoughts on the BB forum.

In her social life, Jesica often experimented with psilocybin, better known as magic mushrooms, and she loved how the drug brought her into closer communication with her inner self. Naturally, Jesica became interested in the potential of «microdosing», a trendy self-medication practice in which people take a small dose of a hallucinogen each day in the hope that it will brighten them up for the outside world. Jessica was stumped. «I thought, what the heck, let's try it» — she says.

«It's been about four months since I started microdosing and my life has changed dramatically. I still have depressive episodes, but I feel so much more emotional than I ever have before. The antidepressants made me numb... But there comes a time when the numbness becomes exhausting. I thought, what's the point of living if I'm not going to feel what it means to be alive? This is a gentle mirror into the deepest corners of my soul. But I'm the one who does the work. I get all the credit. It's really amazing» — Jesica continues.

TOkeMxoJRl

Jessica knows that mushrooms are still stigmatized in the broader American society, but she no longer considers psilocybin use anything more than an essential element of her daily life. «I don't consider myself to be under the influence of recreational or illicit drugs» — she says.

Alyson Feduccia is the CEO of Psychedelic Support
, a company that advocates for the integration of herbal psychoactive drugs into American health care. With a doctorate in neuropharmacology, Feduccia believes that America's increased interest in the therapeutic potential of street-level drugs is due to the growing body of evidence supporting that psychedelics and amphetamines can become an important tool in clinicians' arsenals.

The amphetamine MDMA is used as a buffer in intensive care sessions to help patients explore their suffering without overexposure. A study published by the National Academy of Sciences found that the use of psychedelics can lead to long-term mood improvement (based on a survey of 1,200 people who participated in music festivals). The Johns Hopkins study also found that magic mushrooms are an effective way to combat symptoms of serious depression.

All of this data points to an important ac Feducci's conclusion that antidepressant use in the U.S. continues to rise. While benzodiazepines are among the most commonly prescribed mood-enhancing drugs,
the question arises as to whether marijuana or psilocybin should be considered.

V9jDRJl7Zb

«There hasn't been a major breakthrough in mental health treatment for many decades. Many people have been persuaded to take lots of antidepressants to deal with stress, trauma, depression and anxiety. But these substances have side effects, and they don't always help people over time» — says Feduccia.

Scientific research on microdosing, i.e. taking small doses of medication, is under-represented.
Professor Christopher Nicholas of the University of Wisconsin, who specializes in psychedelics, says that microdosing studies have not shown significant improvements in quality of life, except for some noise results from placebos. However, Nicholas notes that more research is needed to draw definitive conclusions.

Katherine Neal Harris of Rice University's Baker Institute for Public Policy states that interest in microdosing may be related to a growing class of Silicon Valley technology leaders who say that taking LSD daily has helped them become more productive and creative at work. She notes that when successful people endorse a certain practice, society takes notice, regardless of what research shows.

The researcher believes that
the interest in psychedelics in today's society is coupled with other health trends such as the popularity of CBD products. This accounts for the increasing demand from consumers for psilocybin or CBD products, like chocolate or mints containing cannabis. Thus, there is a change in the attitude towards drugs due to aesthetic advertising and quality packaging.

VIM3WA6s8L

Experts interviewed by BB Forum residents described the mounting evidence in favor of psychedelics and other drugs being a medicine for modern society, at least in high doses that can affect brain chemistry. In 2020, 10% of Americans reported using marijuana in the previous month, up from 4% in 2002, and most Americans now believe the substance should be legalized for recreational or medical use. Data on psychedelics is harder to track, but Scientific American magazine reported an increase in LSD use during the pandemic.

The rise of cannabis specialty stores is noticeable — some have an artisanal style studded with crystals, while others are as eye-catching as Apple Stores as the country's harsh drug prohibition is going away. Shoppers at these stores choose products with low THC content, well below the levels in a typical cannabis brownie. BDSA, a cannabinoid product market research company, found that sales of
low-THC cannabis products in California far exceed all other dispensary products. This signals a change in our outdated view of drug use; perhaps being sober and committed to microdosing are the same thing.

Stevenson points out several aspects to consider when discussing the new qualification of drug use. He notes that this qualification does not take into account those people who suffer from punitive drug policies. Legal routes to obtaining drugs are more likely to be open to those who have the money for formal treatment, which leaves out recreational users who may face police harassment.

That said, Stevenson points out that access to psychedelic treatment will be primarily for people with money, since insurance companies don't cover it right away. Decriminalization remains important, he says, because it's worth separating the issue of drug use for health purposes from problems with the law.

SHR8VQ7PYn

He also points out the paradox in the nation's history, where blacks are far more likely to go to prison for drug-related cases than their white counterparts. Despite a period of liberalization of the drug trade, discrimination remains blatant. This becomes especially apparent when we see a luxury package of organic marijuana candy delivered right to the door, which only emphasizes the bias of the law.

However, after years of living surrounded by destructive substances like alcohol and nicotine that are
addictive, it's no wonder Americans are looking for alternatives. Psilocybin, for example, unlike other substances, is not addictive. A 51-year-old Phoenix resident, Linda Donohue, claims that magic mushrooms saved her from addiction. She made the decision to stop drinking alcohol after her father died twenty years ago, as many members of her family suffered from alcohol addiction. A low dose of psilocybin helped her overcome her anxiety about drinking alcohol at social events. Even the smell of alcohol in her breath no longer makes her uncomfortable.

«Microdosing makes me feel confident around alcohol. I sometimes worry about relapsing, but now it's easier for me to be at events where there's no drinking. It helps me cope with having to be in that kind of community» — Linda notes.

R0Y9ic8rM4

Studies show that a low dose of psilocybin doesn't change people's perception of the world. While we're all looking for a miracle cure to help us find a peaceful life, sometimes it turns out that the answer is much closer than we think. Feduccia points out an interesting observation: in clinical trials of psychedelics, control groups showed excessive placebo effects. The mere thought of a mind-affecting substance can make us feel better.

«The placebo effect has been shown to have a real biological basis. The body can actually release endorphins, and you can see real changes when you give someone a placebo. That's one of the most intriguing things about psychedelics. If you can consistently induce a placebo response, it's probably the greatest medical discovery of all time»
— Feduccia says.

This touches on the original appeal of recreational psychedelics — the idea that they help us go beyond our mind and body so that we can better connect with our spirit. If you feel happier, then it's working. Don't ask more questions, because the rest is irrelevant. Who wants a drastic high?

8XSRqQ4sKb

Welcome to the mushroom renaissance
Anthropologist Anna Lovenhaupt Zing argues that mushrooms can be teachers for humans. In her book Mushroom at the Edge of the World, she explores the ability of mushrooms to thrive even in unstable environments and notes that when she encounters one in the forest, she realizes it's not just a coincidence.

In 2021, mushrooms are experiencing an interesting renaissance in American society, which comes at a time when we are nearing the end of a devastating pandemic. Mushrooms seem to suddenly and quietly appear everywhere, like a forest after a rainstorm, and we no longer need luck to stumble upon them. On Instagram, health influencers are advertising
mushroom-based protein powder, coffee substitutes and elixirs. Local stores and farmers markets now carry not only fresh mushrooms, but also dried mushrooms, cutlets, chips and even adaptogenic syrup.

E6d3NaPb0Q

Mushrooms have become popular as a leather substitute for fashionable handbags and are used in biodegradable packaging. Their shape was the inspiration for one of today's interior design trends, mushroom lamps, based on 1970s designs. There are also psychedelic mushrooms, which have been gaining popularity in recent years.

When it comes to mushrooms, their history goes back thousands of years of use in various cultures and peoples around the world. Mushrooms have been used as food, medicine, tea, and even for psychoactive purposes. Hatter fleshy mushrooms, of which tens of thousands of species are known, exist in a variety of natural environments, from forests and meadows to parks and gardens.

Although mushrooms have played a huge role in the lives of many peoples, they have not always been the focus of Western culture. Even with ancient roots of mushroom use in medicine and religion, they have been neglected by Western science. This can be attributed to the variety of chemical components of mushrooms that can both heal and cause danger.

Despite the long period of neglect, mushrooms are now experiencing their renaissance. This is due to various factors such as the versatility of mushrooms, increased interest in wild foods due to the pandemic, decriminalization of psychedelics in some states, and the pleasing aesthetics of mushrooms. All of these made the timing perfect for a mushroom renaissance.

4Zs2mXiHKa

Over the past five years, the Food and Drug Administration has consistently granted breakthrough therapy status to drugs that were banned in the 1970s and '80s, such as MDMA, ketamine, and psilocybin. This status allowed organizations to develop drugs and conduct clinical trials to study the therapeutic potential of psychedelic drugs. In November 2023, Oregon became the first state to decriminalize psilocybin mushrooms, emulating cities like Denver, Oakland, and Santa Cruz in 2019. In mid-March, Oregon's governor announced the creation of the Psilocybin Advisory Board, which will provide a framework for the therapeutic use of the drug in licensed facilities.

In addition to the state-approved and scientifically validated use of psilocybin, ordinary people have also developed an interest in the drug because of its healing properties and ability to alter reality. Traveling on mushrooms has been documented to represent vivid experiences, transcending the body, relating to a mystical world.

«It seemed as if I were looking at a world of which I was not a part and with which I could not connect. There I was, bobbing in space, an invisible gaze, unseen, seeing but not seen»
— wrote R. Gordon Watson in a 1957 Life magazine article about magic mushrooms.

Even under controlled clinical conditions, participants have «profound and meaningful experiences». While full doses of psychedelics incapacitate people for hours, microdosing — taking small amounts of psychedelics to induce mild euphoria — has become popular, especially among techies and creative individuals.

Sksyp1oVc7

Food and beverage trends analyst, Andrea Hernandez, describes the growing popularity of mushrooms as «the mushroomization of niche vegetables and mushrooms». Mushrooms have become a boon due to their versatility: different types of mushrooms contain different vitamins and health benefits, and their texture allows them to be used as coffee, juice and meat substitutes in the alternative market. The pandemic is temporarily changing the meat industry's supply chain, leading to increased consumer interest and venture capital investment in the alternative meat segment. Mushrooms clearly benefit from this rapid growth in plant-based products, but it is unclear whether most Americans will change their diet to a lean diet.

Mushrooms have always been special. They have been recognized
as superfoods and «great» ingredients that can be used in a wide range of modern health and wellness products such as protein powders, supplements, coffee substitutes, beer and other beverages for millennials. They have become an integral part of the consumer-driven nutrition market, gaining the attention and investment of major packaged food brands such as Pan's dried mushrooms. TASTE offers an in-depth look at the growing popularity trends of mushrooms in its article.

From a nutritional standpoint,
mushrooms are generally healthy; they are low in calories, rich in protein and fiber, and high in antioxidants. However, the claims made in these various mushroom-based products are difficult to prove. Some drinks (mushroom beer) and snacks are made entirely from mushroom powder or extracts, while others (MUDWTR, a coffee alternative) advertise a mushroom label but add other herbs and spices.

G6VdRlkECs

Mushroom lovers are discouraged that this vague, noisy language can scare customers away and lead to negative reactions, distrust or derision toward products like CBD. «There are brands that say, ‘Your sheets have CBD in them’ or ‘This sportswear contains CBD’, and that kind of usage creates a bad reputation for the term, just as the word ‘organic’ doesn't have much meaning to most consumers these days. We're going to need curation and guidance to make sure that this attention doesn't hurt food and beverage manufacturers who think a lot about their products».

However, if history is to be believed, our cultural intrigue and reverence for mushrooms is likely to trump the marketing efforts supported by wellness brands. Mushrooms are ubiquitous but remain elusive, growing in the most unexpected parts of the forest, among dead and decaying trees and organisms. Perhaps we are attracted to mushrooms because we think of them as some sort of higher power. This is one theory. Magic mushrooms promise transcendence, a small sample of life and death in a dangerous world.

As these normative views take shape, addressing the imbalance in research on benefits and risks may be an important part of building good institutions for the next era of legal psychedelic use. It won't be easy, but we are seeing a great many encouraging signs. For example, some major psychedelic philanthropists are now seeking to fund additional research in this area. In addition, we are also seeing young psychedelic researchers eager to learn more to make the field safer.

miner21

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
You are a content creating machine!!!