METHYLAMINE HYDROCHLORIDE (HCL)- is no joke

EHRMANTRAUT

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
And so, this post is designed more for new users. the purpose of this post is to get rid of small mistakes during the preparation of methylamine. if you already know everything and this article is not new to you, then please just put a bold "Like" and you can add your experience in the comments.

For the preparation of aqueous methylamine, as you probably already know, you will need directly methylamine hydrochloride, distilled water, alkali - aka sodium hydroxide NaOH or potassium hydroxide KOH.

Let's begin my dear reader. I will take calculations for 150 grams of methylamine hydrochloride hcl

Calculations to obtain a solution of methylamine from 150 grams of methylamine hydrochloride:

1. Dissolution of alkali:
2. Adding alkali to methylamine hydrochloride:

Do not add all of the alkali at once, as this may cause a sudden spike in pH and loss of methylamine.!!!!!!
It is recommended to add the alkali in small portions (20-30 mL each), stirring after each addition.
Monitor the pH of the solution:
Use a pH meter to monitor the pH of the solution.
Required pH value:
For NaOH: 11-12
For KOH: 12-13
Add alkali until the target pH value is reached. I consider this step to be the most important when preparing aqueous methylamine.
100 g of pure alkali (NaOH or KOH) should be dissolved in distilled water.

Volume of water:
About 250-300 ml of distilled water will be required to completely dissolve 100 g of alkali.
The exact volume of water may vary slightly depending on the alkali used and the desired concentration of the solution.

Stirring:
In the desired container ( glass jar in my case), pour in the lye and pour in water.
Stir the solution thoroughly until the lye is completely dissolved.
You can use a magnetic stirrer or just shake the flask by hand.
REMEMBER AND BE CAREFUL: THE LYE WILL HEAT UP WHEN IT COMES INTO CONTACT WITH WATER. You can prepare a container with cold water in advance by adding ice to it. in case of strong heating, cool down in cold water - this is from my experience. After complete dissolution of the lye in distilled water, leave the jar to cool to room temperature, as it cools down go to the second stage.

2. Adding alkali to methylamine hydrochloride:

Do not add all of the alkali at once, as this may cause a sudden spike in pH and loss of methylamine.!!!!!!
It is recommended to add the alkali in small portions (20-30 mL each), stirring after each addition.
Monitor the pH of the solution:
Use a pH meter to monitor the pH of the solution.
Required pH value:
For NaOH: 11-12
For KOH: 12-13
Add alkali until the target pH value is reached. I consider this step to be the most important when preparing aqueous methylamine.

3. precipitation and filtration:

After all the amount of alkali has been added and the pH has reached the target value, allow the solution to settle.
A precipitate of sodium chloride (NaCl) will fall to the bottom.
Filter the solution through a filter (such as a vacuum filter).
Rinse the sodium chloride precipitate with a small amount of water to remove any residual methylamine - this is optional.

NARRATING.

150 g methylamine hydrochloride (CH₃NH₂HCl)
100 g of alkali (NaOH) of 98% purity
250 ml distilled water

1. Calculate the molar concentration of methylamine hydrochloride:

Molar mass of CH₃NH₂HCl = 74.53 g/mol

Moles of CH₃NH₂HCl = 150 g / 74.53 g/mol = 2.01 mol

2. Calculate the molar concentration of the alkali:

NaOH molar mass = 40 g/mol

NaOH purity = 98%

Moles of NaOH = (100 g * 0.98) / 40 g/mol = 2.45 mol

3. Determine the volume of the solution:

Volume of solution = 250 mL = 0.25 liters

4. Calculate the molar concentration of methylamine (CH₃NH₂):

In the neutralization reaction of methylamine hydrochloride (CH₃NH₂HCl) with an alkali (NaOH), methylamine (CH₃NH₂) and water (H₂O) are formed:

CH₃NH₂HCl + NaOH → CH₃NH₂ + NaCl + H₂O

From the reaction equation, it can be seen that 1 mole of CH₃NH₂HCl produces 1 mole of CH₃NH₂.

Therefore, the molar concentration of CH₃NH₂ in solution is:

[CH₃NH₂] = (2.01 mol CH₃NH₂HCl) / 0.25 L = 8.04 mol/L The calculations are probably not quite correct, but those who have more experience and knowledge, please take part in correcting the calculations.

That's all. Don't forget to subscribe and put a fat like if it was useful. Thank you.

P/S I would like to make a special mention and express my gratitude: @Marvin "Popcorn" Sutton and @WillD , and, of course, the forum: BBgate.com

EHRMANTRAUT

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
!!!addendum: why else this article? the point is that at the stage of adding dissolved alkali to MA hcl I made a mistake. namely, I added it very quickly and as you have already realized the loss of quality of the aqueous methylamine and finally the poor quality yield of 4mmc.

HeavenChem

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Bruh, you used too much of alkali
It can сreate regrouping free base to pyrazines because of instability of 4-MMC in alkaline solutions with oxygen.
Try to use an easy drawback of alkali to prevent side reactions

HeavenChem

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Also you adding NaOH directly to methylamine salt. Better to prepare alkaline water solution and make it cold. Same need to do with water solution of your salt. In that case, after reaction you will get pretty good methylamine free base
Make sure what you using enough water, because sodium chloride can replace methylamine and your gas will be gone much faster

CCL4 huffer

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score

honestly i dont get how methylamine HCl is that more acessible at that point just synthesise methylamine from nitromethane or acetamide.
bdw the spike in ph isnt the reason of loss of methylamine if u add to mutch base its simply heat generated by the reaktion thats why i would recomend if u would want to use this method that u add water to the methylamine HCl aswell and put it in a fridge till its nice and ice cold.

also just to say this method is barbaric contaminating the methylamine like that and then not eaven rl working it up like come on man is it realy so hard?
just use carbonate or bicarb instead of the hydroxide drip it in the methylamine HCl while heating it and bubble the methylamine trough ice cold water or very cold methanol ig. that method is mutch better and produces a pure solution.

but just simply contaminating methylamine with NaOH and NaCl is just barbaric.
atleast use a methylamine HCl excess so that its "only" contaminated with NaCl.
u should always go for the most purity possible eaven more so if the reagent will be used for drugs or something that is ment to be ingested.

so in conclusion no i wont like ur post.

EHRMANTRAUT

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Greetings. great addition to my article. thank you for sharing your knowledge-apparently a great experience. yes, i agree that you should try to get the purity of the product first. but i also forgot to add that not all substances are available for purchase. don't you agree? hence this method of preparation. i liked your comment. it would be even better if you could open your own thread on a detailed guide. if you don't mind or can add it here. i'm sure everyone will enjoy your experience. thanks.

ImRegistered

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Great post. Can you write one up for methylamine Hcl to methanol please ? (With out gassing)

EHRMANTRAUT

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
I don't quite understand your question. try rephrasing it.

View previous replies…

ImRegistered

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
@EHRMANTRAUT I’ve found the answer. Thank you regardless

CCL4 huffer

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
good luck converting methylamine to methanol buddy that preperation certainly wont be easy

EHRMANTRAUT

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
you is right. there are several methods written on the internet, but converting methylamine hydrochloride to methanol is a complex multi-step process

Osmosis Vanderwaal

Moderator in US section
Resident
Solutions
Reaction score
You don't mention it here but it bears stating that your base is stoichiometric to only the HCL. So long as you stick to moles until the end of every calculation your fine, but if you convert moles to grams too soon you'll screw it up
1 mole Ch³nh²hcl=1 mole of Ch³Nh² +1 mole of HCL
1 mole of NaOH neutralizes 1 mole of HCL
The Ch³Nh² isn't used in the calculation

hider8028

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score

So how many ML of 40% methylamine solution is this formula equivalent to?

CCL4 huffer

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
mate if u cant eaven do simple math and have to be spoonfed information the chemistry realy isnt for u especialy nothing that ppl are suppost to consume.

View previous replies…

hider8028

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
fuck off guy,if you don't want reply ,just Shut the fuck up,i never ask you,No need to pretend to be an expert here

CCL4 huffer

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
brother u cant eaven do stoichiometry thats not being an expert thats the most basic u can get.....

hider8028

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
So what's the problem with this? everyone starts out knowing nothing, I just ask my questions and learn, I don't understand what happened to you? So this can only be discussed by people who already know everything? You think you are who?bookworm?

Osmosis Vanderwaal

Moderator in US section
Resident
Solutions
Reaction score
I believe 8 mol. CH³NH² = 27%. Based on what I am seeing, 12 mol is 40% in water and 9 mol for methanol