Question LSD Lab equipment?

kevin_smith_2

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Hello!
Can you advise me the laboratory equipment needed for the production of LSD?
We just want to calculate the price of setting up a lab.

HerrHaber

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
A decent magnetic stirring hotplate and an additional magnetic stirrer without heating is not imperative but will help, rotary evaporator and vacuum source are highly advisable, actually vacuum is a must (there is a water pump or aspirator for soft vacuum and oil pump for strong one but membrane pump is the best for chemistry), inert atmosphere is also a good idea in order to be safe and get higher yields, glassware is a longer list but I suggest buying a standard kit and stands with clamps that will still need the general glassware bought separately (beakers and erlenmeyers).... this is just staraight out of what I can tell with no effort of meticulosity in lab design. There are other things such as a fume hood which you should construct if you don't want to buy a real one.

HerrHaber

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
I must stress the point that this is not to be attempted as a first chemistry project since it would be most likely frustratingly unsuccessful and most of all, wasteful of some materials that are to be treated with respect. There is this modern method of synthesis but it's still needing of rather moderate to advanced notions of what you are doing. Don't forget about toxicity, accidents, red light and prefferably custom made red glassware. CHEM IS TRY so you work your way up starting from the test tube.

kevin_smith_2

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
If we buy short path distillation can we skip the rotary evaporator? Also what are the specifics/capacity of the equipment? Also don't we need a vacuum oven?Thanks for the detailed answer! Much appreciated!

archae

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
vacuum ovens are extremely expensive and the need for one can easily be worked around, there are other way to apply a vacuum while heating, albeit less convenient.
As for the rotary evaporator, they are very useful when handling big volumes of solvents that needs evaporating quickly, but same as vacuum ovens: you can do without. I would first establish a basic lab with which you can perform reactions under argon or nitrogen, and only when you've streamlined your process to scale up with more expensive equipment.