🇺🇸
Reaction score
Do you have knowledge in the synthesis of 1,2-dichloroethane

Grandthumb123

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
The synthesis of 1,2-dichloroethane can be carried out in the following steps:

1. Preparation of the Reactants: Ethylene (C2H4) is usually prepared by the thermal cracking of hydrocarbons such as natural gas or petroleum. Chlorine gas (Cl2) is typically obtained by the electrolysis of brine solution (sodium chloride, NaCl, dissolved in water).
  2. Reaction: The reaction of ethylene and chlorine gas in the presence of a catalyst, typically iron or aluminum chloride, is carried out in a reaction vessel. The reaction is typically conducted at high temperature (around 300-400°C) and pressure (around 4-6 atm). The equation for the reaction is as follows:
    C2H4 + 2Cl2 → C2H4Cl2 + 2HCl
  3. Separation of Products: After the reaction, the mixture is allowed to cool down and the products are separated. 1,2-dichloroethane has a boiling point of around 83°C, while hydrogen chloride (HCl) has a boiling point of around -85°C. Therefore, the 1,2-dichloroethane can be easily separated from the reaction mixture by distillation. The unreacted ethylene and chlorine gas can be recycled back into the reactor.
  4. Purification: The crude 1,2-dichloroethane obtained from the distillation is typically impure and may contain traces of other chlorinated products. It can be further purified by distillation under reduced pressure or by fractional distillation. The purified 1,2-dichloroethane can be stored in a cool, dry place.