How to synthesis methylphenidate from Ritalin acid

Hello, It is my first time to post there.I apologize if it is not proper.Recently, I got some Ritalin acid and want to make methylphenidate not use HCl because I can't get it directly.Could anyone help me?

HerrHaber

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
You must perform an esterification reaction with methanol, this is usually done with sulfuric acid as catalyst but I trust you will find the preparative writeup around here. If you can get your hands on sulfuric acid you will also be able to make HCl.

untryrgos

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
Could I use the phosphoric acid?

HerrHaber

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
Most probably yes, but concentrated sulfuric has much less water in it and esterification is an equilibrium reaction where the water resulting from the reaction of the alcohol with the ritalinic acid also has the power to hydrolize the very same bond. This is conventionally accomplished by using a large excess of the alcohol which can serve as the solvent or in other words medium of the reaction. What I want to say is that yield will certainly be affected.

I do trust the author of this thread, he's a competent chemist.

untryrgos

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
Ok, thanks so much!

HerrHaber

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
The procedure in the link starts with a different substrate than ritalinic acid but just check the comments and you will gain more insight.