Question Can anything be done about the search function?

The Alchemist

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
I believe the search function is faulty on this website. You are unable to search below 4 characters and you can't string words together with hyphens. Therefore chemical names and cas numbers return wrong results and very common drug names cannot be searched (lsd, lsd-25, pcp, mxe, dmt, 4-mmc, 2/3 of most cas #)
So if some asks: "4-mmc synthesis"
Search returns: "The following words were not included in your search because they are too short, too long, or too common: 4, mmc"
Then only searches "synthesis"

This is very problematic for me as I cannot search very common chemical information. However, one work around is to put query between two quotations which will show proper result. But the situation is more dire for any search without a relevant large word to occupy. I cannot simply seach "dcm" , "nmp" , etc and using their other names would not return all proper results.

Therefore I propose the function be revised, it's not suitable for this site in my opinion because its so retrictive and most will not even know to use quotes for some searchs (though it can't work for all sadly).

Do admins have an opinion for this?

Osmosis Vanderwaal

Moderator in US section
Resident
Solutions
Reaction score
Here here! A temporary fix is to use your favorite search engine and type [whatever you are searching] site: bbgate.com then it will search this site instead of the entire www