A Bromine Synthesis with better Yields than the Clorine method.

CCL4 huffer

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
hello guys
since i havent seen this synthesis on here i just wanted to add it since the good ol clorine method is kinda shit
it leads to heavy clorine contamination and practicly wastes bromine salts

so what u need for it is:

- KBr,NaBr

- conc sulfuric acid

- a glas destilation setup

- H2O2 with a concentration Of 12% or higher

(stoichiometry u should be able to do urself as a decent "chemist)

warning bromine is toxic and without a gas trap a gas mask and a reducing solution nearby i wouldent recomend anyone to do this !!!

the overall reaktion is 2 steps where in the first one HBr gets generated from sulfuric acid and a the NaBr/KBr
KBr+H2SO4 --> NaHSO4+HBr

and then in the seccond step the HBr gets oxidised by the H2O2
H2O2 + 2HBr --> 2H2O +Br2

so to start the whole thing off add all ur KBr a rbf and cover it with a generus layer of water(for slightly better yield i would eaven put the rbf in a icebath).
drip the sulfuric acid in slowly
let it stirr for like 1h.

add in the H2O2 into it while destilling out the bromine

after the destilation is done bromine with a layer of water ontop will be in the receiving flask .

put the the destilate in a sepperatory funnel and sepperate the bottom bromine layer from the water layer (i would reccomend to not discard the water since it still has some bromine in it and is usefull in some brominations).

then put the bromine back into the funnel add some sulfuric acid shake and vent a few times and then aggain drain off the bottom bromine layer.

now to fully purify it i would recomend to destill it aggain to get rid of the sulfuric acid but thats not strictly necesary.

and to store the bromine i would just recomend to store it int a ampule since it likes to destroy lids and is a escape artist.
for reference on how to make one just watch this vid of nile red:

good luck and eaven better yields brave soldiers.