Question P2NP synthesis

Zeus the chemist

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
I tried synthesizing P2NP using benzaldehyde and nitroethane, with cyclohexylamine catalyst. Refluxed it for 6 hours and got nothing. Just a yellow oil like substance that burns when set on fire. Can someone help me with this?

wael gano

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
What temperature did you use?
Did you add solvent?

GEPUpMmWo9

Zeus the chemist

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
The instruction was to relfux at 60°C but our system couldn't handle it, so the temperature was about 80°C . And it reached 120°C as the time passed. We used a heating mantle, it doesn't have a setup to control temperature.

View previous replies…

wael gano

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
It is necessary to add isopropyl alcohol to the reaction mass and heat it to 50 degrees Celsius, then put it in the freezer until crystals appear.

wael gano

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
You can use an oil or water bath at a constant temperature of 60/80
3 hours, then remove the heat and wait for it to cool. It is preferable to add IPA twice the weight of benzaldehyde
Place it in the freezer to crystallize

HIGGS BOSSON

Expert
Reaction score
Show me a picture of your reaction mass.
Sometimes there are difficulties with crystallization. To start the process, it is necessary to cool in the freezer, and then add a grain of P2NP as an excitation of crystallization.
Sometimes it helps to pour the solution from a glass into a glass for oxidation.

Zeus the chemist

Don't buy from me
Reaction score
Thank you for replying. This is my first time synthesizing P2NP. I couldn't take a pic of. Also my temperature wasn't right, my system couldn't handle temperature of 60°C constant temperature. The temperature was 80°C and rose upto 120°C. It was constant at 120°C and never rose beyond that. Can you suggest a better way to synthesize it. I willing to try it till I get the right product.

HIGGS BOSSON

Expert
Reaction score
Look carefully our videos on the synthesis of P2NP