Question FC acetylation question

loadingST

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇧🇬
Reaction score
Im thinking on creation of some double substituded cathinones and bio-assay them for first time in hystroy.

What i have ordered :

1. 4Chlorotoulene
2. 3Chlorotoulene

Im hoping one of these afther acetylation to produce 4Chloro3Methylpropiophenone and the other 4Methyl4Chloropropiophenone if anyone can tell me for shure i will be glad.

I have a few kilograms of AlCl3 and a liter of propionic chloride which i will use in the experiment. I dont remember whendoing a FC the propionic chloride and alcl3 forms a complex to which when the aromatic benzene is added slowly it forms the ketone or am I wrong ? Will be happy if someone with knowledge answers the question or i will need to research all by myself as always ...

When order comes i will document the synthesis ( target of the synthesis : 3Chloro4MethylMethcathinone and 4Chloro3MethylMethcathinone.

HerrHaber

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
You are talking about the Friedel-Crafts ACYLATION, acetylation involves only acetyl group to attach, which isn’t what you want. The product of acylation with propioNYL chloride (propionic acid chloride) and halogenated toluenes isn’t as easy to predict as for toluene alone. Halogens also have an effect on where the acyl group attaches to the benzene ring. Research some more and try the reaction always on a small scale.

loadingST

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇧🇬
Reaction score
thank you for your reply, did you know if i use grignard to make the ketone i will end up with the preffered aromatic structure ?