Question using ethanol from hand sanitizer?

sideofpills

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
For extracting pseudoephedrine from sudafed pills could I substitute methanol found in anti-freeze with ethanol from hand sanitizer (75% ethanol)? Would this have the same result?

Osmosis Vanderwaal

Moderator in US section
Resident
Solutions
Reaction score
Methanol and ethanol are not the same. You can probably get methanol out of windshield washer fluid or heat gas antifreeze or brake cleaner

sideofpills

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Frit Buchner I tried searching online for antifreeze and windshield washer with methanol in it locally but they do not state if they have methanol or not in it. Thats why I was asking about hand sanitizer as an alternative thanks for pointing that out I am a rookie chemist I have a lot to learn appreciate it. I know HEET Gas-Line Antifreeze works but they do not sell it in my country anymore.

Once I find a product with methanol I would have to distill this windshield washer fluid to separate the methanol from the other chemicals right? Just double checking thank you so much again.

Osmosis Vanderwaal

Moderator in US section
Resident
Solutions
Reaction score
Generally yes you would have to distill it I search for the MSDS to confirm what chemicals are in something and the concentration. You can sometimes get paint thinner that is pure methanol