Question 3MMC vs 4MMC Smell?

CryoThio

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
I have started watching a documentary on 3MMC, and a dealer claimed that it doesn't have the typical "cat piss" smell of 4MMC, and that some people prefer 3MMC for that reason.

Is this true? Does 3 MMC have no or very little smell compared to 4MMC?

What causes the 4MMC smell? I assume a by-product formed during synthesis?

hotelier

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
It's true that 3-mmc is far less smelly than 4-mmc aka Mephedrone. Apart from that, they smell completely different:

As for 3-mmc, the closest thing coming to my mind is a certain type of medical plaster (German brand name "Leukoplast" ;))

Regarding the "cat piss" smell of 4-mmc:
I've been using meph since 2009 and been living with cats since even longer ago, and tbh to me cat piss is an analogy I'd have never come up with... ;)

Genuine pre-ban meph (shiny white sugar-like crystals) to the biggest part had that smell certain railway tickets or bank statements have, when they come fresh out of the printer (not a home or office printer, speaking of public atm/ticket terminals here).
Then add a slight breeze of chlorine tabs (for swimming pools) and you are quite there!

...probably some residues of precursors or re-Xing solvents (which I can't specify), because after doing a proper recrystallization there is hardly any smell left at all.

As for all the post-ban meph I've come to sample since, the smell I described above most of the time has been overshadowed by aggressive drain cleaner type of stenches, plus residues of whichever solvent had been used in the synth, plus that tearjerkingly bitter/peppery bromine sting :/

Methylated

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
^ As above,
But many of the Meph batches i've had in the past came with a smell of circuit boards. Burned circuit boards if that make sense.

MMCHAMSTER

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇺🇸
Reaction score
in the last 7 yrs all 4-MMC l got had a good cat pee smell like in 2011 but the effects been missing, and 3-mmc has not this smell and if also not good in my opinion, there was a time l remember in 2012 where people sold 4-MEC as a replacement, that shit was okay for 30min :)

HIGGS BOSSON

Expert
Reaction score
You are all mistaken. 3-MMC and 4-MMC smell the same at 98% purity+
Any dirty methcathinone can smell like "cat piss" due to the remnants of unreacted bromocetone.
Pure, crystal 4-MMC smells of pharmaceuticals.

hotelier

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Yeah, as I stated, after doing a proper re-X on 4mmc, there is barely any smell/taste left... however most customers don't do that, so I'd say both the question and the answers have their legitimacy here...

+Still, even the cleanest looking 4mmc I've received back in 2009/2010 had that distinct smell as described above, which was totally absent in even the dirtiest oily batches of 3-mmc I ever got my hands on (these were just extremely bitter & overall disgusting, but no cat pee/circuit board/ticket printer/chlorine/drain cleaner types of smell at all)

Maybe 2b4m vs 2b3m already significantly differ odor wise? Never came in touch with that stuff tho... ;)