Question Drilling Through Borosicilicateglas 3.3

WinterDust

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Deals
Hi,

So my question is, does someone have practiacal knowledge of drilling hole in Borosilicateglas 3.3 with either a Tungssten Carbide or Diamond drill?

I'm looking at the dimensions of between 20 / 35mm in diameter.

Reason for this is that basically all Separatory funnels 10,000 are out of stock, the only ones available are from Duran etc. and they reach 500$ excluding shipping.

So I figured, why not build one myself.

10,000l round bottom flask 40/45 neck, reducer 40/45 - 29/32, and a 29/32 stockcock, use two-way expoxyglue resistant to acetone and similar strong precursors and drill a hole a the bottom of the flask, ET VOILA! Seperatory funnel for under 60$

UWe9o12jkied91d

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Deals
This is pretty dumb idea tbh, first off the chances of your modified separatory funnel to shatter on the first use after such a "modification" are 100/100.
You need to "calibrate" the glass after such a modification, it's structure will be in shambles if not, even with a tune it's not gonna be as tough as it was when it was blown.
Hdpe or pp drum on frame with a valve, why not? Or if you insist on glass get a proffesional glass blower to install a valve at the bottom, if you still have them in your parts.

WinterDust

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Deals
I get what you are saying, but you are speaking of properties of "hardened glas" which I have som experience with.

Borosilicate glas have different chemical set up to it.

I have read a few people who have tried this on forums and even seen videos on youtube of people drilling holes into BSC 3.3.

But I was more curious of people who have done it from chemical reaction stand point.

HerrHaber

Don't buy from me
Resident
Language
🇬🇧
Reaction score
Did countless improvs and I must say even with an arguable apprenticeship in scientific glass blowing, the size you are dealing with is not to be approached in an amateur setting.

G.Patton

Expert
Solutions
Reaction score
Deals
Agree with @UWe9o12jkied91d. Your flask will crack in the worst moment in case of success drilling. It's worth to use plastic jerry can for this manipulations.

general

Don't buy from me
Resident
Solutions
Reaction score
im approaching this from a non chemist stand point.i have worked with drilling glass many times,however it wasnt borosilicate.i understand your dilemna but i wouldnt think of going there.a tungsten carbide kinda pear or spear shaped bit will go right through 1/4" glass like nothing,but that diameter is out of reach without a diamond hole saw. perhaps.its easy for a stress fracture to quickly stream out of the hole at one or more points,sorry i cant be more encouraging my friend!small hole big maybe,large hole no way.

WinterDust

Don't buy from me
Resident
Reaction score
Deals
Well,

It was worth a shot, but seems like the idea is of the table, thank you for all the input.